Wednesday, February 13, 2008

To try or not to try....

I had called my Dr on Monday morning, two days after the initial anxiety attack. The receptionist said I would have to come in and that Dr did not do phone consultations. I broke down crying explaining that I couldn't go to the next town to see her because I was having anxiety and it was bad. I was promised a call back.
My Dr said I needed to try meds. Previously when I have had periods of anxiety I have been strongly advised to try meds but I was always too scared. I decided that this time I would handle my anxiety differently. I would try meds and I would be open about it to people rather than making excuses and avoiding people and situations as I had in the past.
I agreed to try Paxil if I could start on a minuscule dose and could I have some kind of tranquilizer for if things got bad again. DH collected the Paxil and Clonazepam. I was to start on 5mg Paxil - a dose she assured me was similar to that for a child, then I would increase it slowly until I was at a suitable dosage. the Clonazepam was for emergencies and to help me feel secure.

Today is day 3. This morning right before I was expecting my home daycare kids to arrive, I had a suddenly tail spin of symptoms. I wanted to run. I felt like I might throw up, my throat was closing, I didn't want to have to talk to parents. I paced frantically but managed to accept the arriving children and hoped the parents didn't sense anything. DH helped me organize breakfast while I paced some more with my hands on my head trying to get air in my lungs.
About an hour later I felt fine and DH left for work. I was able to function normally with the children despite the tightness in my throat.

No comments: