Saturday, August 16, 2008

Fireworks & Champagne a reason to celebrate

I felt pretty good when I woke up today, aside from wishing for a few extra moments of dream time. Got showered, kids were up (our weekend alarm clock), we all had breakfast, kids got dressed, DH got showered. Then it was that time. Time to decide what the day holds. Lately I have had more input than in previous months now that I've been feeling better. I had been pondering a trip to our local mall. I needed a couple of things that DH wouldn't be able to choose for me. I threw the possibility out there in front of the kids. This would mean that unless I wanted to come up with a reason for a change of plan, that I would have to follow through.
Our local mall is fairly small compared to others in the area. It consists of 2 levels, 2 department stores, a food court and a bunch of smaller stores. I needed to go to Sears. I knew we could park right outside. I hoped the department I needed was near the exit.
Off we set in the car. I am much better about being in the car in our town now and I am able to chat and feel about as relaxed as I can be in a car (always been nervous). I am mostly able to act like a regular non-anxious person, before I had to constantly keep my brain busy counting backwards and focusing on breathing.
The journey to the mall is about 15 minutes, no highway travel is necessary and on a Saturday is typically not the faster option anyway, especially in the summer.
I had my usual security items - water, plastic bag (in case of vomiting - never needed it but it makes me feel better), tranquilizers already halved and ready.
We parked right by a Sears entrance and to my relief the lingerie department which was my reason for the outing, was right inside the door!
DH and kids set off for toy department. DH had strict instructions to keep his cell phone handy and be ready for me if I needed to leave.
I selected the bras that I thought might be suitable and ventured into the change rooms. I find my interactions with store staff are a little overly friendly, I babble on and on just to keep my mind busy. I don't care what they think of me.
I felt completely fine in the change room but had no luck with my selection. I decided to look for more and armed with a second batch back I went and this time I was successful - I should hope so too - I had tried on almost 20!!
I felt calm at the cash. I knew my debit card would take numerous attempts to swipe as it's old and I need a new one. I was able to wait in line and handle the whole payment part fine.
DH called to see if I was OK - he hadn't expected me to be so long and the kids were bored and hungry. I suggested he take them to get take out from the food court for us all and I would check out H&M for kid clothes. H&M is in the centre of the mall and down the escalator
I did it. I went to the store, selected a few items for the kids and was still browsing when the rest of the family came to find me. I wasn't quite done so they walked to the car and drove round to a nearer door to pick me up.
The journey home I was flying. I felt like I had won an Olympic gold. I had not only braved the mall and bought some stuff but I could have shopped longer.
I called my best friend who has been an amazing support and she celebrated with me. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. DH was thrilled - although he's probably worried that I'll want to shop all the time and spend money we don't have right now. I think I deserve it!

No comments: